Today is Father’s Day. Like Our Father in heaven, our fathers here on earth should have these qualities:
1. A father should represent SECURITY – children should look up to them for help and strength, somebody to lean on in times of need. And for that a father should be strong. I am afraid we have many weak men who are fathers. Not a security guard – palaging binabantayan ang anak. A father is strong, reliable and confident. But, a father is also tender, loving and understanding. “Therefore do to others whatever you would have them do to you… (Matthew 7:12) (See also Psalm 103:13).
2. A father is a good provider. As long as he is capable, he is willing to labor hard to provide shelter for his family, and food on the table … “if any would not work neither should he eat” (II Thessalonians 3:10)
3. We need fathers who are honest – our world is a world of deceit and dishonesty. More than ever we need fathers who can stand for the truth. I can just imagine how shattered a child could be if he discovers that his father has another child and another family. That child can never trust anybody anymore knowing that he cannot even trust his own father.
4. Like our father in heaven, our biological father should be a friend not only a disciplinarian. He should be someone a child could talk to when confused or worried. For me, the family is not composed of a father, mother and children. Rather a family is composed of friends and the best friend of all should be the father. A father recognizes the importance of making time for those he loves.
5. Lastly, the father should be liberating and not domineering and extremely possessive…he should allow the children to grow into maturity freely – sometimes even free to make mistakes and learn from their own mistakes.