A chapel where the basilica now stands was constructed in that land donated by Don Bernardino Castillo, a St. Sebastian devotee. It had the image of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel brought by the Recollects in 1618 from Mexico.
During the Chinese uprising, the original chapel, made of wood, was set to fire.
The chapel made of bricks was destroyed by an earthquake. Only the image survived.
Another strong earthquake destroyed the reconstructed church.
June 24, 1890
The new all-steel, earthquake-resistant, prefabricated church designed by Don Genaro Palacios who used Baroque and neo-Gothic styles was raised to the status of minor basilica by Pope Leo XIII.
Declared National Historical Landmark by President Ferdinand Marcos through P.D. No. 260.
August 13, 1975
Jaime Cardinal Sin established San Sebastian as a Parish separate from that of Quiapo.
Restoration of the church, also known as the National Shrine of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel, Through the National Historical Institute.
August 18, 1991
Centenary of the canonical coronation of Our Lady of Mt. Carmel.
May 16, 2006
Included in the tentative list for possible designation as a World Heritage Site, on account of its architectural and historical heritage.
1975 Jose Antonio Calvo
1976 German Chicote
1979 Juan Jose Goicoechea
1982 Nicolas Salvatierra
1991 Hermenegildo Ceniza
1994 Samson Siloriquez
2003 Paulino Dacanay